October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Support women!
This video is revelatory.
white people ain’t got no manners
lots of poc in there too
everyone needs to watch this.
this breaks my heart
Sad, but nothing new. Reminds me of Sarah Baartman. I can go to Toronto and find a black girl with a body like this and a group of people laughing behind her. I always wondered if she ever noticed.
she’s so brave for doing this wow
fuck all those people, especially that creepy blonde lady following her around to take pictures
White people are obsessed with black bodies and I will never feel comfortable around them after this. This is beyond creep level. This is just disgusting.
This makes me scared to walk out the house.
It might just be the fact that she’s wearing a bright ass spandex suit and has an amazing ass that they wish they could haveThis is just… Ugh, I’m mad!
“This piece was primarily a trust exercise, in which she told viewers she would not move for six hours no matter what they did to her. She placed 72 objects one could use in pleasing or destructive ways, ranging from flowers and a feather boa to a knife and a loaded pistol, on a table near her and invited the viewers to use them on her however they wanted.
Initially, Abramović said, viewers were peaceful and timid, but it escalated to violence quickly. “The experience I learned was that … if you leave decision to the public, you can be killed… I felt really violated: they cut my clothes, stuck rose thorns in my stomach, one person aimed the gun at my head, and another took it away. It created an aggressive atmosphere. After exactly 6 hours, as planned, I stood up and started walking toward the public. Everyone ran away, escaping an actual confrontation.”
This piece revealed something terrible about humanity, similar to what Philip Zimbardo’s Stanford Prison Experiment or Stanley Milgram’s Obedience Experiment, both of which also proved how readily people will harm one another under unusual circumstances.”
This performance showed just how easy it is to dehumanize a person who doesn’t fight back, and is particularly powerful because it defies what we think we know about ourselves. I’m certain the no one reading this believes the people around him/her capable of doing such things to another human being, but this performance proves otherwise.”
this is why performance art is important
So every single person who told me ‘ignore them they’ll go away’ and ‘you can’t let them know they bothered you’ and ‘They’ll stop if they don’t see you react’ and all that bull shit, my entire school career, I want you to look good and hard at this.
I want you to think about what you said.
What you keep saying.
What you are telling your children.
You are making them powerless.
that last comment. actually crying.
She responds to insults with humor. Tucker Carlson, co-host of CNN’s “Crossfire,” claimed that he would eat his “shoes [and] tie” if “Living History” sold one million copies. According to the New York Times, Clinton dropped by the “Crossfire” set with a giant brown shoe made of chocolate cake and a signed copy of her memoir for Carlson after the book sold over a million copies in its first month. Pure class.
I feel like the mean girls in high school messed with Hillary Clinton once.
She has normal quirks. She puts Tabasco sauce on everything, says the Wall Street Journal — even salad!
In light of my last post, I thought I’d post these, as well.
I work with Medicare, so I hear the other side of this pretty often. This is refreshing.
Yup, that sounds about right. I’ve been paying student loans since 2005 and I still haven’t sunk below five digits.
i’m just gonna leave this here…
I agree with Don Lemon 100%. Black Americans (not all, but some) need to fix themselves and STOP blaming slavery for everything that did NOT happen to them.
1.) Go to school
2.) Speak proper English
3.) Stop using the “N” word amongst yourselves
4.) Stop blaming slavery for things that happened a trillion years ago and MOVE the hell on!
5.) Improve your damn FAMILY PLANNING for crying out loud
6.) Stop glorifying the gangster culture and respect yourselves
I have been called “Uncle Tom” several times by ignorant Black Americans but I don’t let that phase me because I have some great African American friends and acquaintances who are very open-minded and respect themselves.
I will never understand why most African immigrants in America work very hard to be successful meanwhile a good percentage of African Americans always blame others and lack motivation to work hard.
Oh, and I’m not in the states right now so if you feel the urge to search for me after this post, well, I am chilling in Maputo so catch me if you can.
I’ve seen quite a few of my fellow Africans posting this Don Lemon clip and lecturing black people to get it together. I’m always taken aback by how blissfully unaware some of us are with our respectability politics. Listen, respectability and being proper will not save you when racism comes knocking. Not at all. It is merely a deflection of the real problem. The problem being racism.
Let’s address a few things.
1. The murder of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman is what sparked this “conversation”. I put conversation in quotes because it isn’t really a conversation. It’s talking down to and lecturing black people. It’s no conversation. Trayvon was not murdered because he said “nigga”, wore sagging pants, disrespected himself and had poor family planning. No. He was murdered because Zimmerman saw a black boy in his neighborhood and felt he didn’t belong. Even after being told by the 911 operator not to approach Trayvon, he followed him, got out of his vehicle and confronted him. This is why Trayvon is dead. Can we stop using this murder as a catapult to lecture black people? Apparently not.
2. The issue at hand here is not respectability. Why many of us keep falling for this smokescreen is beyond me. Listen, respectability won’t save you. That’s not the issue at hand here. It is racism. Medgar Evers was a respectable man. He wore suits and was a wonderful orator. Guess what? He got murdered. MLK Jr. was a respectable, well dressed man and a wonderful speaker. Guess what? Didn’t prevent him from getting murdered. Oh, that’s the past you say? Well, Skip Gates is a Harvard professor. Guess what? Being a Harvard professor didn’t stop someone from assuming he was a burglar breaking into his own house. Gates is a grey-haired bespectacled Ivy-league professor who walks with a cane. He was wearing khakis and a polo shirt when they arrested his ass in his own home.
In this clip, Bill O’Reilly says Marc Lamont Hill looks like a drug dealer. Hill is wearing a suit and he’s a professor at Columbia. An Ivy-league professor and academic wearing a suit, and O’Reilly says he looks like a drug dealer. How much more respectable, educated and well spoken can he get? The problem is racism.
3. Furthermore, wearing sagging pants, saying “nigga”, not speaking “proper” English etc is not a license to be treated like dirt. You’re not a better human being because you’re well coiffed and can speak the Queen’s English. Congrats I guess, but being that way won’t address the issue at hand which is racism. My father is a Columbia educated professor, and he’s in his 70s. Guess what? He still gets harassed by the NYPD. They often can’t believe that he owns the Mercedes he drives. My sister is an attorney and workers (whom she hired over the phone!) have questioned her about living in her own house, demanding to speak to the real owners. Maybe she broke in and hung up pictures of herself and her family on the walls. I’m an educated man and can speak the so called proper English with the best of them. Guess what? I still get stopped and frisked here in NYC. Most of the time, I’m wearing button down shirts. I’m in my 30s, so I’m not sagging my pants, but that’s besides the point. It’s not about that. I’ve been stopped and frisked so many times by one officer on Staten Island that he recognized me after a while and got embarrassed. Even he became ashamed after a while.
I usually come home very late because I’m often taking photos at concerts, and late at night is when the NYPD really lets it all hang out. I’ve been disrespected by them so many times, even after I’ve given them ID and complied to everything they’ve asked. Another cop wanted me to dismantle my camera. I told him apart from removing the lens from the camera body, there is nothing else I could do. You know what he did? He threw my camera bag on the floor like it was garbage and told me to get lost. This is the stuff that is happening out here everyday, and it’s not because of anything you or Don Lemon are talking about. Will you lecture me to get my act together and speak proper English?
4. Africans are being killed out here too. Ousmane Zongo was murdered by a cop. Shot in the back. Amadou Diallo was shot at 41 times, with 19 bullets hitting him. Were they shot because they were lazy, called each other niggas, glorified gangster culture and wore sagging pants? This is all our problem.
5. This so called “conversation”, which is really just lecturing black folks is insulting. Only black people get lectured it seems. The day when people like Don Lemon, Bill O’ Reilly and others pushing this respectability nonsense start devoting entire programs to mass incarceration, draconian drug laws that punish blacks harsher than everyone else, stop and frisk, predatory lending, gentrification, redlining and every other kind of institutional racism against blacks (not the topical bullshit like Paula Deen calling someone a nigger), then we will be having a real conversation. However, it’s really easy just to lecture black people. Need I remind you that the catalyst for this so called conversation was about a young black boy being murdered by some trigger happy self appointed neighborhood watchman? Nothing this so called lecturing about what black people should do had anything to do with his murder.
Anyway, I’m in post-racial America, complete with a respectable black president and his respectable black wife. Oh, they still disrespect Barack and Michelle too? I was gonna tell Barack to pull up his pants and to stop saying nigga and tell Michelle to get an education and speak properly. Maybe birthers and the tea party demanded his birth certificate and acted like giant racist asses towards Barack and Michelle because they know Jay Z, a notorious pants sagger in his prime and a liberal user of the word nigga. Barack needs to get educated and do something with his life. Michelle too.
^^^^^Get into this commentary, #doe
lord jesus it’s a fire!!
i love how people like to state that slavery ended a trillion years ago, as though shit has been honky dory since them. gtfohWow, what I have been trying to relay for months. Well said, well said.
A little table to how to get rid of all that negative self-talk. We have to learn look at the good in situations too, instead of dwelling on things we can’t change- because you know what? We may not be able to change what is happening but we CAN change how we view it!
“I like it, a man who’s not swayed by facts.”
Totally Biased: NYC Women Talk Cat Calling
I wanna stick my tongue down you’re mind. This is awesome.
I reblog this every single time it’s on my dash
THEY ARE EVEN GOOD LIVE!
YOU ARE WELCOME.
How Orange Is the New Black is Doing Women of Color Right.
"The key is that these women are the heroes (and villains) of their own stories. They are not just amusing anecdotes meant to add color to the main character’s life. We know this because most of the time Piper isn’t even aware of their histories – how they got there, what’s happening now. Their backstories are just theirs and ours to know and understand. So these women have their own agency, their own agendas, their own struggles, their own triumphs, their own failures. This matters."
- Romantic Male Lead: You say you want me to go but I know you're just scared. Tell me honestly you don't want to be with me and I'll go.
- Me 10 Years Ago: *SIIIIGH* so romaaaaantic
- Me Now: Ugh rape culture.
STICK IT OUT
SHOW THE WORLD
YOU GOT A
shorty in the yellow had me sprung back in 2011 in dance class. yummmmmm